CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 27, 2008

OK, Now Tell Me The Truth, Did You Just Lie To Me?

For all you English buffs out there, I know this title is all wrong. But you have to have to understand kids.

My precious daughter has learned how to lie. Simple lies. Little white lies. She is terrible at it. At 6 yrs old, she has lied to me. I am still in shock.

My daughter is perfecting her writing and reading skills. She writes words on anything she can write on, computer paper, Kleenex, writing tablets - mine - her fathers - hers - any ones. This is where she lied and how she got caught.

I have been working on my hubby's business end of year tax info. Last night I went to print out a couple invoices to review and there was no paper in printer. There was no paper in the normal storage spot. A little voice in me said "Self, ask daughter" she likes to write and is always looking for different things to write on. I asked her if she knew where the paper was and she said "Hold on" she come back with all my paper. I asked her where it was and she said " In brothers room"

BUSTED!!! She can not lie. Thank Goodness. I looked at her and said " OK, now tell me the truth, did you just lie to me? " "Ok, the paper was in my room---but I just wanted to write on it, am I in trouble?"

Her father was a witness to the whole scenario, stepped in and took over. Daughter is a big DADDY'S GIRL, so if he raises an eyebrow to her, she falls to pieces. He explained to her in one of the calmest voices ever about how lying is not good,Duh. How little lies turn into big lies, and how people do not like being lied to. Also about lying and getting other people in trouble. She melted.

It may seem harsh of a talk over that little of a lie, but we wanted to put a stop to that now. There is a sign just inside my front door that reads

" Honor Code"
I shall not lie, cheat or steal,
nor tolerate those who do
I am still in shock, she lied to me. She probably will again, as I did to my parents.

2 comments:

Two Date Diva said...

Sounds like darn good parenting to me!

Average Girl In Average World said...

Being a parent with two kids with two totally different personalities, it is hard to find a balance for each one. The way I see it, if you stop the issues as a child, you can prevent alot of issues when they are teenagers.

Besides, now she knows next time she lies, Mommy will be the proud new owner of her beloved Nintendo DS. !!!!!