CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 30, 2008

We Really Need To Talk.....

Um... Ok, I have had some questions regarding my Daily Recipes. So here are some answers:

Q: Why are quanitity amounts so vague?
A: I don't measure when I cook. Sorry, bad habit. I give as best of a guestimate as possible. Also, everyone has different tastes, just b/c I like a lot onion, doesn't mean you do.

Q: You use use alot of butter/margarine, isn't butter bad for you?
A: Butter / margarine with high trans fat - are bad for you. On my dinner table you will see "I can't believe it's not butter", butter (zero trans fat). That is what my Dr. recommended to me instead of "country crock" b/c I had elevated cholesterol levels. I switched just that and 2 months later my cholesterol was down.

Q: Do you have any tips for beginner cooks?
A: Yes. First off, ask an older relative for an old cookbook - at least 40 years old (this item can become a family heirloom) or you can purchase one. I have The Good Housekeeping Cook Book publish date: 1942-1944. I say this because these are from scratch recipes, old school style and just by reading it, you can learn alot of the basics on cooking. Take a recipe - old or new and try to make it your own. Trust yourself, and don't get discouraged if it doesn't come out quite right. Make notes and move on. Remember the more you do it, the better it becomes.

1 comments:

Two Date Diva said...

Great tip about using an older cookbook to learn the basics. I learned a lot by watching my mom when I was a kid. I have also found that if I screw something up (too much salt etc) google is a great help.