CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

How Safe Are We?

I was reading an article on http://www.waiterrant.net about how oblivious most people are to everyday hidden dangers. It got me thinking. I do not live in some big city, I live in a small town, but we have crime too. Quite a bit of small petty crimes, i.e. theft, vandalism, ect.. and very little Major crime, i.e., murders, rapes, bank robberies, ect..


Even though crime is low here, I still believe in being pro-active to protecting yourself. For example: when I walk to my car from ANYWHERE (walmart, food lion, dollar store, work) my biggest car key is sticking through my index and middle fingers. I WILL STAB YOUR EFFING EYES OUT!!!

In my old car, I carried an aluminum baseball bat right next to the drivers seat. LOL - one time I had stopped and picked up a high chair, as the guy was loading it in my car, he was visibly shaken by my bat and asked why I had it. I explained that as a mother of one (at the time) and being female, I had a right to protect myself and would protect my child and myself should a situation arise. Thankfully I never had to use that bat, and I got in trouble when I got pulled over for a traffic violation, but that doesn't matter :)

I always say know your surroundings, watch people and trust your gut. If something doesn't feel right, there's a reason for it.

So my question to you is: How aware do you feel you are? Are you pro-active for your own safety? Have you ever been in a situation where you had to protect yourself from a crime?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have lived in salisbury all my life, born and raised. I never used to be afraid, but now i am. I always look over my shoulder when going to my car from anywhere, including my own yard!

Anonymous said...

Well, I've got being a big male on my side so people leave me alone (unless I'm being mouthy in a bar in Chicago). So, I guess I'm pretty oblivious.

You should get yourself a kubaton:
http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/kub.htm

RUS

Average Girl In Average World said...

RUS - Believe it or not, I am extremely strong for a woman. I grew up as the youngest child, only girl, with 2 older brothers who beat the sh!t out of me everyday. But ...a woman is hardly ever stronger than a man. Even on her best day.

I will look into that kubaton

Average Girl In Average World said...

Anon - Salisbury used to be the place to be, but now-------it's just sad. Sure am glad to live in boring old Delaware.

wymzie said...

I lived in Hollywood, CA for 11 years then moved to Pocomoke. My grandparents had lived in my house here since 1970. They never locked their doors or took the keys out of the ignition. However, over the last ten years it's gotten real ghetto around here.
Baseball bat at each door, and my trusty ole shotgun makes me feel a little safer

Average Girl In Average World said...

wymzie - we all know WHY Pocomoke has turned the way it has....Like I said about Salisbury - it's a shame.