CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Reminiscing...


When I was younger I was not very social. There was one friend, and my last best friend, Jessica. We met in 4th grade, right after her grandmother died and she came to my school while her Dad was getting their house built. Her mother went MIA when she was born, so she was raised by her father and his mother. Anywho....I was reminiscing the other day to my hubby about our crazy times. There were 2 things that stuck out in my mind.


1. I spent ALL summer, EVERY summer at her house. Her Dad collected disability I think - so he was home all the time. He stayed in his room and Jessica and I would play outside, ride the mini bike she had, do our hair, ect........But every time I was there he would stay couped up in his bedroom only bothering us every 3 hours. I can hear him now...."Jess, make me some butter and jelly biscuits". You know those 10 rolls in pack, store brand rolls that come with 4 cans attached with the beer plastic thingy? Yeah, those rolls, with butter and grape jelly. HE LOVED THOSE THINGS. I never understood why. But as I was reminiscing, Hubby pointed out that her Dad NEVER COME OUT OF HIS ROOM BECAUSE HE WAS....YOU KNOW......SMOKING REFFER!!!!! (which may have been medicial....lol...) He had the munchies. Damn him....no just kidding. He was great, he let us drive - with him in the car, took us places, bought us stuff, he loved Jessica to no end, and I felt some love from him too. I was envious of their relationship.



2. Jess decided one day she was going to run away. I was there so I was going with her. Dead of Winter, Ice storm just passed through, we took off on foot. Walked ON the local pond because it was frozen over. Well, we both fell in. Fell through the ice, hit the bottom and bounced back up to the top. I grabbed Jess by the hood of her jacket and we pulled each other to safety - a dock about 15 feet away from us. We walked, freezing to death about 10 more minutes until we reached another friends house. We went in, her Mom took our clothes and give us some clean & dry ones. Called our parents - who were already looking for us. We waited in silence. Scared. I was scared - my Mom has a MEAN SLAP A BITCH ARM. Mom was upset, crying and scared. She didn't hit me that day, but I know she wanted too. I explained that I left because Jess was. That was the first time in my life I seen her Dad cry. Or any grown man for that matter.


We lost touch after 8th grade when she changed schools. I ran into her at a local restaurant some time ago (her Dad was with her), she got married after high school, they had 3 kids together, she seemed happy. I was happy for her. God I miss her........

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwww! That was a awsome story!!!

Tammy

Average Girl In Average World said...

I cried writing it, it breaks my heart that I never found another bestest.

Brittany said...

I think it's funny the things that stick out in our minds, and the way you wrote it, I felt like it was me.

Average Girl In Average World said...

@Brit - as I was relaying this story to some family of mine, I was choking up again. I can't cry in front of people.

I'm not sure if I really miss "her" or just really miss having a "BFF". I feel too old to find and cultivate a new BFF. Almost like everyone has their friends, and they can't make room for more. Besides, I have babies and a hubby and don't go drinking every weekend, so I guess I'm no fun. Oh well.