CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 12, 2008

Where Were You on Sept. 11, 2001?

Sometime around 9 a.m. - the phone rings...

me: hello

hubby: hey....listen....don't freak out.

me: OMG!!! Who died???????

hubby: no one died.......look, I can't talk long, just turn on the TV and stay tuned.

me: O....k.

hubby: OK, I got to get back to work. I will call you at lunch time. Bye

me: love you, bye....

click


I wiped the sleep out of my eyes and turned the TV on. OMG..... the first tower had been hit.


(I have chicken skin right now typing this)

Once I understood what was happening, the 2nd tower got hit.

I turned the TV off.


Frozen, that's what I was. Fear overcome my body. I was 36 weeks pregnant with our first child. All that kept running through my mind was "Are there more planes? OMFG they are going to hit us (thinking literally hit our house), I am never going to meet my baby. OMFG, those poor people, their families, OMFG, OMFG, OMFG"

Panic Attack mode while pregnant - not good.

When hubby got home we watched the news together. Of course that's all that was on for the next 3 months. We discussed and tried to digest what had happened. Every Sept. 11th since, I cry at least once that day. I cry for those lost, missing, injured, killed, those who lost someone - especially the kids who lost a parent and the parents who lost a child. It makes me sad.

Will we ever know the truth about who, what, when, where, why and how this come about? There are conspiracy theories. The government claims to have told us the truth. But will we really ever know?

Sorry I didn't give a complete recap of the events of 911, but if you are reading this then you know what happened that day. You know what you saw on the TV. You know how you feel about the situation. So tell me, what were you doing that day? How did you find out? How do you feel now?

8 comments:

Brittany said...

It was definitely a defining moment, the JFK moment of our time, everyone knows where they were when they saw it.

Anonymous said...

I remember that morning...I was @ work, chatting online(boss was way cool), when someone in the chat room made a comment that a plane had hit the first tower....noone believed him. Then, all of a sudden, on the radio, it was all they were talking about. Son's school was on lock-down...parents called to come pick up their kids. Boss let me leave early, he left too. Picked up son, went home...turned on the TV, and watched as it unfolded....for hours/days/weeks. Yes, I still get a little teary/goosebumpy every year..with the recaps....and the ceremonies. How could it NOT get to you?? Only if you have NO heart at all. A day that will never be forgotten, that is for sure.

Witchyone

Laura said...

We definately remember where we were at that moment. What amazes me is how we felt on Sept 12. I, like you just KNEW they were going to be riding down my street in tanks ready to kill me and eat my dogs. However, I don't feel that way now. Not saying I 100% agree with how it was all handled, but it's amazing that in *only* 7 years (actually less) we go from being absolutely batshit terrified to being at least unafraid enough to go about our normal routines. God bless the USA!

Brian Shields said...

I just wrote out my 9-11 experience in my blog (mourning) yesterday. It was way too detailed a day to summarize it here.

Surfergrrl said...

I was on the west coast and just woke up. I sat down to eat a bowl of cheerios and turned on the today show when i saw the towers on fire. at that point, they had already gone down (they were recapping the events) a ticker at the bottom of my screen said all airports were shut down and maybe some roads. The first person i called was my boss who said not to come to work. when the towers collapsed, I could not believe what I was seeing. later that day i went for a walk around a popular trail in seattle. people were just kind of in a daze and very quite but everyone looked at each other and there was kind of a bond.

Two Date Diva said...

I was at work, prepping for a meeting. We were going through budget cuts and staff from our outlying districts were coming into town to meet about it. It was weird, but the people that came in for the meeting didn't seem to grasp the enormity of the situation. My boss actually had to finally delcare the meeting over at about noon and told everyone to go back home. They still wanted to sit and bitch about the budget cuts! It was odd. During the meeting the admin assistants kept coming in with email updates of what was happening, it was like a slow motion nightmare.

Smart A$$ Mom said...

I was pregnant, too! I remember thinking this was my generations Kennedy assassination.

Average Girl In Average World said...

@Brittany - you are right.

@Witchyone - Thansk for stopping by, hope you enjoy the show...I couldn't even being to imagine what it must have been like that day to have had a child in school.

@Brian - I am making my over there

@Sufergrrl - that would have been crazy to be sitting there in that meeting like that. I get where you stated everyone you passed you seemd to have bonded with.

@Smart A$$ Mom - did you have the same thoughts about not seeing your baby? Thanks for stopping by.