CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Have You Ever?

Have you ever felt something was just so right and turned out to be soo wrong? That would have been the Pageant dress for me. BOO :( When I bought that dress, it was a last minute deal due to the fact that my black, velvet, halter, $300.00 gown grew legs and mysteriously walked out of my closet 3 days before the pageant. BOO :( So I had to improvise on a shoestring. I already spent the money on daughters gown, shoes, shaw, our haircuts and our gifts we had to bring, so I was stuck. Having no girlfriends who happen to be the same size as me, I made my way to the local 2nd hand shop. DRESSES GALORE!!! JACKPOT MY FRIENDS!!! (if you have daughters going to prom, winter formals, ect.. look at your local 2nd hand shop before the big name stores) Anywho..... when I tried this gown on, it fit very nicely. Snug, form fitting, but nice. Fast forward 3 days to the day of the pageant. I downed a 2 liter of Pepsi and I was suffering from monthly bloating, my dress looked like it had been painted on. Not in a good way. Not much I could do about, it we did the best we could with what we had to work with. That was downfall #1.



On to Downfall #2. Microphone placement. I held that mic like Barry Manilow singing a love ballid. Straight out, so high it covered my face while I spoke.



Downfall #3. Hair and Makeup. Ok people, to get my hair straight, it takes at least an hour of serum application, blowouts, wide tooth combs, 6 clips and a very expensive straightening iron. I have unruly hair. Always have. So for me to get it straight (a technique I have mastered in the last year) is truly a feat for me. Add in the fact that we had about 95% humidity that day, I was screwed. There were women there with glitter in their hair. GROWN WOMEN. GLITTER. WOW. I left mine down, straight, with the ends curled under, cute I thought. Apparently not enough. On to the makeup.....I like makeup. I spend a lot of money with my Mary Kay rep. every year. But, I also believe makeup should be subtle. Foundation, eyeshadow, liner, mascara and lipstick. No blush, no black eyeshadow, chic and subtle. Well I now know you need to pile it on THICK.



Area of success: My introduction. Perfect. No quivering voice, no "um's" no stuttering, no forgetting. I was told by several women there they could not believe this was my first pageant, also that I oozed confidence and commanded attention when I spoke. My voice was clear and I covered all areas of a great introduction. Name, age, living arrangements, work, family, volunteer time and interests. Was I nervous thinking about it while waiting for my turn? Absolutely. I considered running out of the side door 2 minutes before I got on stage. But once I got on stage, I turned into another person. My hubby stated that he NEVER saw me in that way before EVER. He was proud be my husband that night and happy for me I made it through without making an ass of myself or passing out.



There ended up being 5 women in my division and I placed 3rd runner up, or 4th place. I still got a trophy.



Now on my daughter. Shirley Temple Look Alike (minus the dimples). She froze. Poor thing walked out on stage, started off strong with her name and age and then went blank. The lady running the show, started asking her questions about herself, so that helped. She had 12 girls in her class and placed 3rd runner up or 4th place. She got a trophy also. She cried. What did make her happy was a girlfriend of hers was in the age division right above hers and she won, so she got to celebrate with her friend.



Overall I have to say "We will be back". LOL..... I am working on my issues and my daughter is working on hers. We both placed the same, we both got a trophy and we both had a fantastic time. We primped all day together, doing our nails, hair, makeup, all the girly things girly girls do. It was a great bonding experience for us. Besides that, all the women at the pageant were very supportive, offered advice and took us in like we were a long lost sister. No cattiness, no whining, no bitchassness. We both made some new friends and learned about our self along the way.

9 comments:

theneatos said...

Congrats to you and the lil' one! You guys kicked ass. And I am sure, you will kick even more ass next time.

Hint - spray hairspray in your competitions eyes ... then they cant find their way to the stage!

Average Girl In Average World said...

@Theneatos - Thanks for the encouragement! Also, nice trick there. I have to watch you girl!

KayakNej said...

What a perfect day!!!! I mean, mom and daughter, getting ready together, placing the same...having an awesome time!

You always have to get that first time out of the way....find where improvements are needed, etc. No DOUBT you'll excel even higher next time.

Will there be a next time?

Average Girl In Average World said...

@kayaknej - yes, there will be a next time! March 2009!!! Holla!! LOL

Laura said...

That sounds like so much fun! Glad you enjoyed it! Yes, we can definately get together and craft sometime, I didn't know you were into it! Email me at: johnandlaura@verizon.net and we'll set something up.

Candice said...

Kudos to you for giving it a go. It takes a certain amount of confidence and poise to enter into a pagent like that. I know I wouldn't have the nads to do it. ;)

Now at least you've got one under your belt and learned some tips for the next go 'round.

Momisodes said...

Sounds like you both did a great job. More importantly, you both had a great day together :)

I'm incredibly proud of you. I would have never had the guts to speak in front of everyone.

Two Date Diva said...

Congrats! I wish I'd had the courage to do the pageant thing when I was younger. I probably would have passed out before walking out on stage.

Stacie said...

good for you, I wouldn't even had attempted it in the first place...I admire your courage.